Monday, May 28, 2007

INSPIRATION: Mental and Physical Rejuvenation

This past Memorial Weekend I took a trip to visit a few long-time friends in Bend, OR. My cell phone barely had signal, my laptop sat at home, my planner remained in Eugene, no iTunes, no Internet, no e-mail inbox. And guess what? It was EXACTLY what I needed. I didn't realize how mentally drained and exhausted I was with school, applying for jobs and fretting about the next phase of my life (graduation, jobs, moving, expenses). While relaxing on the couch in Bend, I fell asleep. I NAPPED. I didn't have to wake up to go to a meeting, to type a paper or even the CLOCK. I woke up when I felt like it. I woke up to the sunset, not my itinerary. I felt refreshed. I heard the birds, the wind, the rustling of the trees and SILENCE. It felt SO good. No work could of given me this satisfaction.

I had conversations that I wouldn't of had if I didn't take a personal break. Instead of having conversations about what I currently NEEDED to do, I talked about what I WANTED to do. New friends had no idea about my passion for PR, my passion for great relationships and my passions for the future.
(Above: stopping by the Detroit Lake Dam with my best friend Brittany)
Instead of discussing the mundane tasks I needed to do to get there, my discussions revealed to them, and myself, the epitome of why I am doing the things I am doing. Instead of looking for inspiration, inspiration was offered to me. Everyone has their goals, but to have friends there to share moments, hopes and dreams instead of schedules and stresses, IS NECESSARY to grow as a person. Sometimes one can forget that work goals don't necessarily satisfy one's life goals.
(Left: taking time out to laugh)

So when I read Sometimes it's the Little Things, I couldn't agree more with the article. Professor Tim Christy said that you don't see many employees who are older in the PR/AD Industry because of mental and physical burnout. BURNOUT. Burnout that may have been prevented.

So I encourage you to read the article and take a break from your hectic schedule- even an hour where every electronic item is turned off and the only voice you can hear is yours is a start. Take a drive, turn off your cell phone, don't talk about work, laugh from deep inside your stomach, eat whatever you damn well please and know that what you need to get done will get done because tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

etoims said...

Thanks to giving us such a productive information. young people are conscious about their personality. They want to build their over all personality whether it is mental or physical. Physical Rejuvenation gives the same information regarding that. This is good article to read.